Creating A TV Channel
Creating a tv channel is a process that takes a lot of planning in order to make sure you have multiple streams of revenue. These streams include advertising, subscription to the channel, and merchandising. Although it may be daunting when you think about this process, with the digital technology now available, it can be a relatively easy task, but it does cost money to get involved in this area of business.
Some of the things you will need to consider are:
- The amount of return you want to have on your investment
- The type of audience you need to target
- The best TV platform to use
- The best technology to use
- The regulations of government that you have to abide by
Some of the different channels you can consider include free-to-air,
subscription or pay per view. Free to air channels earn their revenue
through the advertising, entertainment channels require the audience
to pay a subscription fee and pay per view means that users will pay
for each movie or program they want to watch.
Since digital TV is the common mode of transmission, this is the only
way to go when you set up a new channel. In the UK, there are three
main ways of transmitting your new channel to your prospective
customers. These are:
- Digital Terrestrial: This mode of transmission is dominated by the BBC and Crown Castle and it is unlikely that you will be able to break
into this industry because of the already many existing channels.
- Digital Cable: Through this format, you can offer TV channels in
combination with Internet and telephone service.
- Digital Satellite: You can work with one of the satellite providers
to offer a new channel.
You will likely need partners with launching a new TV channel. This
refers to technological support for setting up the channel and any
problems that may occur ans you have more and more users. This
technological advice will also help you choose the right platform.
You may also need help in choosing the right programming, called
source programs. You can obtain films from studios, form a partnership
with those who hold the rights for certain sporting events, get news
stories from various news agencies or broadcast programs from a live
studio. You will need to hire a person to be in charge of advertising
to sell TV time to advertisers and to offer promotions.